Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Delta Live Table Completely

dbdude
New Contributor II

I've been struggling with figuring out how to delete a managed delta live table. If I run a drop command in Databricks SQL I get:

[STREAMING_TABLE_OPERATION_NOT_ALLOWED.DROP_DELTA_LIVE_TABLE] The operation DROP is not allowed: The operation does not apply to Streaming Tables created from Delta Live Tables, instead remove the Streaming Table from the pipeline definition in Delta Live Tables.

If I go to the Data section and click the 3 dots and Delete, it only deletes it from the UI. The underlying data is all there. A subsequent run will show all the old data again.

The only solution I've been able to do is to create a new DLT pipeline, and a new target schema, and then re-point my DLT process to them. And then run. There must be a better way. What do I do to be able to completely remove the underlying data of a DLT table?

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dbdudeTo completely remove the underlying data of a Delta Live Table (DLT), you need to manually delete the data stored in the path. When you drop a table, only the metadata gets dropped and the underlying data remains untouched. The DROP TABLE command doesn't apply to Streaming Tables created from Delta Live Tables. Instead, you need to remove the Streaming Table from the pipeline definition in Delta Live Tables.

udi_azulay
New Contributor II

@Kaniz - Thanks - how do i track their right guid in order to delete the correct folder?

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dbdude , To track the right GUID (Globally Unique Identifier) for folder deletion, follow the audit logs.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.