cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference @dlt.table and @dlt.create_table decorator

RaccoonRadio
New Contributor

Hi!

I'm currently trying to stream data from an Azure Event Hub (kafka) using DLT. The provided example (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/delta-live-tables/event-hubs) works well.

I saw in different examples the usage of two different decorators "@dlt.table" and "@dlt.create_table" but I could not find out which the correct one is. It works with both, also if the table does not exist when starting the DLT-pipeline.

Can anybody tell me which the correct one is and what the differences are?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RaccoonRadio , 

In Databricks Delta Live Tables (DLT), both @dlt.table and @dlt.create_table decorators are used, but they serve slightly different purposes. Here's the distinction:

1. @dlt.table:
    • This decorator is used to define a Delta Live Table (DLT).
    • It declares a table schema and instructs DLT to track changes to that table.
    • You use @dlt.table when you want to work with an existing table and track its changes as part of your DLT pipeline.

Example:

@dlt.table('my_existing_table')
def my_existing_table():
    return spark.readStream.format("delta").load("/path/to/delta_table")
  1. @dlt.create_table:
    • This decorator is used to create a new Delta Live Table.
    • It also declares a table schema but additionally creates a new table if it doesn't already exist.
    • You use @dlt.create_table when you want to create a new table for your DLT pipeline.

Example:

@dlt.create_table('my_new_table')
def my_new_table():
โ€‹

Both decorators can be used depending on your specific use case.

If you want to work with an existing table, @dlt.table is appropriate.

If you want to create a new table, @dlt.create_table is the right choice.

The choice between them depends on whether you deal with pre-existing data or generate new tables as part of your DLT pipeline.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RaccoonRadio , 

In Databricks Delta Live Tables (DLT), both @dlt.table and @dlt.create_table decorators are used, but they serve slightly different purposes. Here's the distinction:

1. @dlt.table:
    • This decorator is used to define a Delta Live Table (DLT).
    • It declares a table schema and instructs DLT to track changes to that table.
    • You use @dlt.table when you want to work with an existing table and track its changes as part of your DLT pipeline.

Example:

@dlt.table('my_existing_table')
def my_existing_table():
  1. @dlt.create_table:
    • This decorator is used to create a new Delta Live Table.
    • It also declares a table schema but additionally creates a new table if it doesn't already exist.
    • You use @dlt.create_table when you want to create a new table for your DLT pipeline.

Example:

@dlt.create_table('my_new_table')
def my_new_table():
โ€‹

Both decorators can be used depending on your specific use case.

If you want to work with an existing table, @dlt.table is appropriate.

If you want to create a new table, @dlt.create_table is the right choice.

The choice between them depends on whether you deal with pre-existing data or generate new tables as part of your DLT pipeline.

ac0
New Contributor III

@Kaniz_Fatma , Are you suggesting that the first time a pipeline runs, the below decorator should be used:

@dlt.create_table

And the once the pipeline runs, the notebook should be edited to use this decorator:

@dlt.table

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group