cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DLT Event Logs

Djelany
New Contributor II

Hi,

Does anyone know what details:planning_information:technique_information[0]:cost under planning_information event type means in my DLT workflow system event logs? For context, I'm trying to track the cost per run of my DLT workflow and I do not have Unity Catalog enabled. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mtajmouati
Contributor

Hi ! 

The cost field under planning_information in your DLT (Delta Live Tables) workflow system event logs represents an estimated cost for the particular maintenance type operation. In this context, MAINTENANCE_TYPE_COMPLETE_RECOMPUTE indicates that a complete recompute operation is planned, and the cost value (48.0) likely signifies the estimated computational cost for this operation.

Explanation of Fields:

maintenance_type: Type of maintenance operation being performed.

is_chosen: Indicates if this technique was chosen for execution.

is_applicable: Indicates if this technique is applicable to the current scenario.

cost: Estimated computational cost for this maintenance operation.

table_id: Identifier for the target table on which this maintenance operation is performed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mtajmouati
Contributor

Hi ! 

The cost field under planning_information in your DLT (Delta Live Tables) workflow system event logs represents an estimated cost for the particular maintenance type operation. In this context, MAINTENANCE_TYPE_COMPLETE_RECOMPUTE indicates that a complete recompute operation is planned, and the cost value (48.0) likely signifies the estimated computational cost for this operation.

Explanation of Fields:

maintenance_type: Type of maintenance operation being performed.

is_chosen: Indicates if this technique was chosen for execution.

is_applicable: Indicates if this technique is applicable to the current scenario.

cost: Estimated computational cost for this maintenance operation.

table_id: Identifier for the target table on which this maintenance operation is performed.

Djelany
New Contributor II

Thank you! A quick follow up question, is there a way to track the full cost of the run by querying the system event logs instead of just the maintenance cost? Or is that only possible by querying the billable usage path in S3 (in my case)?

adriennn
Contributor II

you can enable system.billing schema and see the costs of the runs from the usage table.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group