cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Enabling enableChangeDataFeed on Streaming Table created in DLT

Vsleg
Contributor

Hello, 

Can I enable Change Data Feed on Streaming Tables? How should I do this? I couldn't find this in the existing documentation https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/delta/delta-change-data-feed .

4 REPLIES 4

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @VslegEnabling the Change Data Feed feature for streaming tables in Azure Databricks allows you to track row-level changes between versions of a Delta table. When enabled, the runtime records change events for all data written into the table, including metadata indicating whether a row was inserted, deleted, or updated. You can then read these change events in batch queries using Spark SQL, Apache Spark DataFrames, and Structured Streaming.

Hereโ€™s how you can enable the Change Data Feed:

1. New Table:

• When creating a new table, set the table property delta.enableChangeDataFeed = true in the CREATE TABLE command. For example:
      CREATE TABLE student (id INT, name STRING, age INT)
      TBLPROPERTIES (delta.enableChangeDataFeed = true);

2. Existing Table:

• If you already have a Delta table, you can enable the Change Data Feed by setting the table property using the ALTER TABLE command. For example:
      ALTER TABLE myDeltaTable SET TBLPROPERTIES (delta.enableChangeDataFeed = true);

3. All New Tables:

• To enable the Change Data Feed for all new tables, set the Spark configuration property spark.databricks.delta.properties.defaults.enableChangeDataFeed = true.

Remember that only changes made after enabling the Change Data Feed are recorded; past changes to a table are not captured. Additionally, the Change Data Feed works alongside table history to provide comprehensive change information. Cloning a Delta table creates a separate history, so the Change Data Feed on cloned tables wonโ€™t mat...1.

Hello Kaniz,

I already tried this ALTER TABLE but it doesnโ€™t work for Streaming Table creating inside a DLT pipeline.

Vsleg
Contributor

I got this error and tried CREATE OR REFRESH as well but that didn't work either..

Vsleg_0-1710420802041.png

Vsleg
Contributor

@Kaniz ?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.