Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal error: The Python kernel is unresponsive when attempting to query data from AWS Redshift within Jupyter notebook

kll
New Contributor III

I am running jupyter notebook on a cluster with configuration:

12.2 LTS (includes Apache Spark 3.3.2, Scala 2.12)

Worker type: i3.xlarge 30.5gb memory, 4 cores

Min 2 and max 8 workers

cursor = conn.cursor()

cursor.execute(
               """
               SELECT * FROM (
                  select *, random() as sample 
                  from tbl
               WHERE type = 'type1'
               AND created_at >= '2022-01-01 00:00:00' 
               AND created_at <= '2022-06-30 00:00:00') as samp
               WHERE sample < .05; -- return 5% of rows
               """
              )

# To Pandas DataFrame
df = DataFrame(cursor.fetchall())

# # # Get column names
field_names = [i[0] for i in cursor.description]
df.columns = field_names

Fatal error: The Python kernel is unresponsive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Python process exited with exit code 137 (SIGKILL: Killed). This may have been caused by an OOM error. Check your command's memory usage.

The last 10 KB of the process's stderr and stdout can be found below. See driver logs for full logs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last messages on stderr:

ks/python/lib/python3.9/site-packages/IPython/core/ultratb.py", line 1112, in structured_traceback

return FormattedTB.structured_traceback(

File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.9/site-packages/IPython/core/ultratb.py", line 1006, in structured_traceback

File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.9/site-packages/stack_data/core.py", line 649, in included_pieces

pos = scope_pieces.index(self.executing_piece)

File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.9/site-packages/stack_data/utils.py", line 145, in cached_property_wrapper

value = obj.__dict__[self.func.__name__] = self.func(obj)

File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.9/site-packages/executing/executing.py", line 164, in only

raise NotOneValueFound('Expected one value, found 0')

executing.executing.NotOneValueFound: Expected one value, found 0

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/cluster_libraries/python/lib/python3.9/site-packages/redshift_connector/core.py", line 1631, in execute

ps = cache["ps"][key]

KeyError: ('SELECT * \nFROM \n             SELECT * \n             FROM tbl\n             WHERE event_type = %s\n             AND created_at >= %s\n             AND created_at <= %s \n              \n LIMIT 5', ((<RedshiftOID.UNKNOWN: 705>, 0, <function text_out at 0x7f7a348d3790>), (<RedshiftOID.UNKNOWN: 705>, 0, <function text_out at 0x7f7a348d3790>), (<RedshiftOID.UNKNOWN: 705>, 0, <function text_out at 0x7f7a348d3790>)))

The data is fairly large, probably 300-400m rows. what configuration do I need to modify? or optimize the query? parallel processing etc.?

1 REPLY 1

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Could you please confirm the usage of your cluster while running this job? you can monitor the performance here: https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/clusters-manage.html#monitor-performance with different metrics.

Also, please tag @Debayan​ with your next response which will notify me. Thank you!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.