Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access Spark UI metrics in an automated way (API)

superspan
New Contributor II

I am doing some automated testing; and would like ultimately to access per job/stage/task metrics as shown in the UI (e.g. spark UI -> sql dataframe) -> plan visualization in an automated way (API is ideal; but some ad-hoc metrics pipelines from local -> s3 also solves the problem).

I have followed this tutorial (https://kb.databricks.com/clusters/persist-metrics-csv-sink-dbfs) to set up metrics; but these are raw metrics arranged by timestamp; without any breakdown e.g. by tasks etc.

It seems I may need to enable eventLog; but when I set the following; my cluster fails to come up:

spark.eventLog.dir dbfs:/databricks/unravel/eventLogs/

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @superspan

• Event logs provide detailed information about Spark application execution, including task-level data.

• Unfortunately, directly configuring spark.eventLog.dir in a Databricks notebook won’t work. Instead, follow these steps:

• Step 1: Go to your Databricks workspace and navigate to the Clusters section.

• Step 2: Select the cluster you’re interested in and click the Edit button.

• Step 3: Under Advanced Options, click on Spark, then Spark Config.

• Step 4: Add the following configurations:

• spark.eventLog.enabled true
    • spark.eventLog.dir dbfs:/databricks/unravel/eventLogs/
  • Step 5: Confirm your changes and restart the cluster.

superspan
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response. This enables the event logs. But the event logs seem to be empty. Would you know where I can get the spark metrics as seen from the spark ui.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.