cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to load xlsx Files to Delta Live Tables (DLT)?

avrm91
New Contributor III

I want to load a .xlsx file to DLT but struggling as it is not available with Autoloader.

With the Assistant I tried to load the .xlsx first to a data frame and then send it to DLT.

import dlt
from pyspark.sql import SparkSession

# Load xlsx file into DataFrame
df = spark.read \
    .format("com.crealytics.spark.excel") \
    .option("dataAddress", "${my_etl.sheet_address}") \
    .option("header", "${my_etl.header}") \
    .option("inferSchema", "${my_etl.infer_schema}") \
    .option("timestampFormat", "${my_etl.timestamp_format}") \
    .load("${my_etl.input_path}")

@dlt.table
def conformed():
    return df

but it is not working.

3 REPLIES 3

shan_chandra
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@avrm91  - can try dividing xlsx files into a csv as a preprocessing step and ingest them in to a dataframe using Autoloader. Also, you can use openpyxl to load into a dataframe. refer to this doc for example.

avrm91
New Contributor III

For now, I will use the Azure Data Factory to convert the xlsx to csv and then process it within Databricks. 
Overall, I wonder if there will be a xlsx Autoloader implementation in the future, as the preprocessing will not have the Autoloader features and I will need to take care what was already loaded and what not.
All over I would not say that it is a solution so I will let this ticket open.

shan_chandra
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@avrm91 - There is a feature request in place. DB engg will priorotized. As of now no ETA yet on this. 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!