cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to partition JDBC Oracle read query and cast with TO_DATE on partition date field?

joshuat
New Contributor

I'm attempting to fetch an Oracle Netsuite table in parallel via JDBC using the Netsuite Connect JAR, already installed on the cluster and setup correctly. I can do successfully with a single-threaded approach using the `dbtable` option:

table = 'Transaction' 
df = spark.read.format("jdbc") \
.option("url", jdbc_url) \
.option("driver", jdbc_driver) \
.option("dbtable", table) \
.load()

I'd like to partition the fetch on a date field, but this code receives an error - java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: [NetSuite][SuiteAnalytics Connect JDBC Driver][OpenAccess SDK SQL Engine]Syntax Error in the SQL statement.[10104]: 

lower_bound = "2024-01-01"
upper_bound = "2024-03-31"
query = f"""
(
SELECT * FROM {table}
WHERE TO_DATE(lastmodifieddate, 'yyyy-MM-dd') >= TO_DATE('{lower_bound}', 'yyyy-MM-dd')
AND TO_DATE(lastmodifieddate, 'yyyy-MM-dd') <= TO_DATE('{upper_bound}', 'yyyy-MM-dd')
) AS t
"""
df = spark.read.format("jdbc") \
.option("url", jdbc_url) \
.option("driver", jdbc_driver) \
.option("dbtable", query) \
.option("partitionColumn", "lastmodifieddate") \
.option("lowerBound", lower_bound) \
.option("upperBound", upper_bound) \
.option("numPartitions", 10) \
.option("fetchsize", 1000) \
.option("sessionInitStatement", "ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'YYYY-MM-DD'") \
.load()

I believe this is because the string is not being cast to a date using TO_DATE because of how partitioning works in Spark. Oracle/Netsuite wants the strings cast to dates in the SQL statement. Sure enough, the Spark debug logs show that no TO_DATE is being applied to the WHERE clauses: 

INFO JDBCRelation: Number of partitions: 10, WHERE clauses of these partitions: "lastmodifieddate" < '2024-01-09 23:54:00' or "lastmodifieddate" is null...

How do I address this?

0 REPLIES 0
Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!