Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to write only file on to the Blob or ADLS from Databricks?

Simha
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I am trying to write a csv file on to the blob and ADLS from databricks notebook using pyspark and a separate folder is created with the mentioned filename and a partition is created within the folder.

I want only file to be written. 

Can anyone help me to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Simha , This is expected behavior. Spark always creates an output directory when writing the data and it divides the result into multiple part files. This is because multiple executors write the result into the output directory. We cannot make the spark write the file without creating the output directory.

But we can control the no. of part files that are written in output directory by using the coalesce function. To get a single file output, you can use coalesce(1) while doing the write operation. However, I would advise you to decide the coalesce partition carefully as coalesce(1) would bring all the data to single executor and if the data volume is huge, this can lead to executor going OOM. 

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance!