Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to clone/read an existing external Iceberg table in Databricks?

MarcintheCloud
New Contributor II

Hello, 

I've been experimenting with trying to read and/or clone an existing Iceberg table into Databricks/Delta. 

I have an Azure Blob Storage container (configured to use absf for access) that contains an existing Iceberg table structure (data in parquet + the associated metadata) that was created in a local instance of Spark.

I am following: https://docs.databricks.com/en/delta/clone-parquet.html - It's not entirely clear to me what "/path/...

My query looks like: 

CREATE TABLE icebergtable CLONE iceberg.`abfs://[redacted].dfs.core.windows.net/warehouse/nyc/taxis/`;

I've tried various permutations  of the above data path. The directory structure looks like warehouse->nyc->taxis->data,metadata

No matter what I do, I end up with 

NoSuchTableException: Table does not exist at location: ...

What exactly am I supposed to put in the path? Or is there another syntax issue here? 

0 REPLIES 0
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.