Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is writing custom function possible in transform(array,func) in databricks sql?

Jerry01
New Contributor III

This is the query I am trying to implement

Create function data_hide(data string)

Return if(is_member('groupName'),data,'****')

Table : my_table

Id Subject

​1. ['Eng','Bio']

2. ['Phy','Mat']

Select id, transform(Subject, x -> data_hide(x)) as new_data from my_table

The above select statement throwing me error​

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naveena G​ :

The error in your SQL query may be caused by the fact that the transform function expects an array or map as its first argument, but you are passing a string instead. In this case, the Subject column appears to contain an array, but you are not specifying which element of the array to apply the data_hide function to. Assuming that you want to apply the data_hide function to each element of the Subject array separately, you can modify your query as follows:

SELECT id, transform(Subject, x -> data_hide(x)) AS new_data FROM my_table

However, if you only want to apply the data_hide function to the entire Subject array if the user is not a member of the groupName group, you can modify your query as follows:

SELECT id, IF(is_member('groupName'), Subject, transform(Subject, x -> data_hide(x))) AS new_data FROM my_table

This will return the original Subject array if the user is a member of the groupName group, otherwise it will apply the data_hide function to each element of the array.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Naveena G​ 

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance! 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.