Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kafka consumer and a web server simultaneously, thread blocking problem in microservice

reza-eghbali
New Contributor

assumptions: There are microservices behind an api-gateway, they communicate through HTTP synchronously. obviously, each one of those microservices is a web server. now I want my microservice to play as a Kafka producer and "consumer" too. more clearly, my microservice produces events and listens to some topics for another events.

problem: It seems traditionally a Kafka consumer use an infinite loop to poll the messages and stay alive (send heart-beats) my process thread is busy by serving host and cant be locked by an infinite loop. is there any way to somehow "listen" to the topic without block the thread just like pulsar listener or rabbit? I prefer not to separate my web server and consumer-processor due to the technical complexity I have to handle in development. may I use Kafka streams in this case? Is there something wrong with my assumptions?

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @reza-eghbali​  My name is Kaniz, and I'm a technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers on the Forum have an answer to your questions first. Or else I will follow up shortly with a response.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.