cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about stateful processing

fperry
New Contributor II

I'm experiencing an issue that I don't understand. I am using Python's arbitrary stateful processing with structured streaming to calculate metrics for each item/ID. A timeout is set, after which I clear the state for that item/ID and display each ID with its statistics in a resulting data frame. I also save this data frame to a file (delta). However, when I load and display the data frame from the delta file and compare it to the original computed data frame, that is displayed in the notebook, the metrics differ. Why could this be happening? And which data frame is the correct one? Basically, no new data should be considered for the resulting data frame, since the item/ID is only yielded and shown in the resulting data frame when no new data has arrived for the defined timeout. And the data frame that is written to the file is this resulting data frame...

1 REPLY 1

Brahmareddy
Valued Contributor II

Hi @fperry,

How are you doing today?

As per my understanding, Consider checking for any differences in how the stateful streaming function is writing and persisting data. It's possible that while the state is cleared after the timeout, some state might persist or be recalculated when saving to Delta. You might want to compare the data frames immediately before and after writing to Delta to ensure the output is consistent. Also, ensure no new data is being ingested after the timeout and that your job is not picking up additional data. If possible, validate your streaming logic to confirm that the data being saved to Delta is exactly what's being displayed in the notebook.

Please give a try and let me know if it works.

Regards,

Brahma

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group