Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

" Please migrate to `databricks_group_role` "

Andrei_Radulesc
Contributor III

With Databricks Terraform connector version 1.2.0, I use the following to make the AWS instance profile available to all users in the workspace:

// Create AWS instance profile

resource "aws_iam_instance_profile" "this" {

name = "${var.prefix}_instance_profile"

role = aws_iam_role.instance_profile.name

tags = var.tags

}

// Create instance profile

resource "databricks_instance_profile" "this" {

provider               = databricks.workspace

instance_profile_arn   = aws_iam_instance_profile.this.arn

}

// Make instance profile available to all users

data "databricks_group" "workspace_users" {

display_name           = "users"

}

resource "databricks_group_instance_profile" "all" {

group_id               = data.databricks_group.workspace_users.id

instance_profile_id    = databricks_instance_profile.this.id

}

When upgrading from connector version 1.2.0 to 1.9.2, and am getting this:

Warning: Deprecated Resource

โ”‚

โ”‚  with module.test1_workspace_config.databricks_group_instance_profile.all,

โ”‚  on ../../modules/databricks/workspace_config/main.tf line 148, in resource "databricks_group_instance_profile" "all":

โ”‚ 148: resource "databricks_group_instance_profile" "all" {

โ”‚

โ”‚ Please migrate to `databricks_group_role`

The 1.9.2 Databricks Terraform docs are at https://registry.terraform.io/providers/databricks/databricks/latest/docs/resources/group_role

But the docs still say to use databricks_group_instance_profile, and do not explain how the upgrade could be made.

Does anyone know how I'm supposed to use databricks_group_role?

Digging through release notes, databricks_group_instance_profile got deprecated in 1.8.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TMD
New Contributor III

Hello,

I opened a support case a couple of months ago specifically about this. The answer I got was

"Terraform team will revert the deprecated resource and update the document accordingly.",

which has not happened so far.

Either provide documentation on how to implement the feature provided by databricks_group_instance_profile or remove the deprecation warning. More importantly, not to proceed to actually deprecate without replacement solution. We'll otherwise be stuck with older provider versions.

Thanks. Tibebe

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TMD
New Contributor III

Hello,

I opened a support case a couple of months ago specifically about this. The answer I got was

"Terraform team will revert the deprecated resource and update the document accordingly.",

which has not happened so far.

Either provide documentation on how to implement the feature provided by databricks_group_instance_profile or remove the deprecation warning. More importantly, not to proceed to actually deprecate without replacement solution. We'll otherwise be stuck with older provider versions.

Thanks. Tibebe

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.