cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference a single item tuple using .format() in spark.sql()

cmilligan
Contributor II

I'm trying to pass the elements of a tuple into a sql query using .format(). This works fine when I have multiple items in my tuple, but when using a single item in a tuple I get an error.

tuple1 = (1,2,3)
tuple2 = (5,)

combo = tuple1 + tuple2

print(combo)

query = ("""

select
case
  when column in {tuple1} then 1
  when column in {tuple2} then 2
end as check

from table

where column in {combo}

""".format(tuple1 = tuple1, tuple2 = tuple2, combo = combo))

print(query)

Whenever I print the query it keeps the comma at the end of the single tuple which is what I think is causing the error.

Result 

I do want to continue to use a tuple because there are scenarios where I need to concatenate multiple tuples together.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For a single-value tuple, you need to use a check to modify the SQL query as well as how the tuple is passed. The single-value tuples will always have a comma at the end. You need to modify the query to be able to pass only the value from the tuple. The new query would look something like

query = ("""

select key,

case

when column in ({tuple2}) then 2

end as check

from table

""".format(tuple1 = tuple1, tuple2 = tuple2[0], combo = combo))

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ChaubeyPravin
New Contributor II

Hello,

can you please add some code or snippet where you are getting error, it will be more clear to understand your problem.

Thanks! I added it in

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Could you please post the code and the error that you are getting?

@Lakshay Goel​ I added it in

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For a single-value tuple, you need to use a check to modify the SQL query as well as how the tuple is passed. The single-value tuples will always have a comma at the end. You need to modify the query to be able to pass only the value from the tuple. The new query would look something like

query = ("""

select key,

case

when column in ({tuple2}) then 2

end as check

from table

""".format(tuple1 = tuple1, tuple2 = tuple2[0], combo = combo))

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll keep digging around a little trying to find something that a user can update without having to worry if there is one value or multiple

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group