Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing files saved in the root FileStore

kkawka1
New Contributor III

We have just started working with databricks in one of my university modules, and the lecturers gave us a set of commands to practice saving data in the FileStore. One of the commands was the following:

dbutils .fs.cp("/ databricks - datasets / weathher / high_temps ", "/ FileStore /") 

This saved many strings in the FileStore without creating a new file. I have no idea how to remove them. Is this even possible?

PS. Please, don't tell me about the dbutils.fs.rm. It tries to remove the filestore itself, which is impossible. I've noticed that you can replace the file's contents that were saved in the root FileStore if you repeat the previous command using a different file. But I am trying to remove them, not replace them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

indeed, but my screen looks a bit different:

image.png 

it is that button on the top right you need.

You either work on the Community Edition (which might not contain this functionality) or on an old version.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

you can delete files using the data explorer in Databricks web UI.

another option is to use %fs or %sh in a notebook.

kkawka1
New Contributor III

When I click on "Data" in the left-hand side panel, it just says that I don't have access to any running clusters. I also tried to create a table within a workbook, but it returns:

Can't make a directory for path ...../FileStore since it is a file

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

You have to click the 'Browse DBFS' button in the top right of the data explorer. No need for a cluster.

Odd location to place that button, agreed 🙂

kkawka1
New Contributor III

Is that what you mean by Data Explorer? This is what pops up when I click on "Data"

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

indeed, but my screen looks a bit different:

image.png 

it is that button on the top right you need.

You either work on the Community Edition (which might not contain this functionality) or on an old version.

kkawka1
New Contributor III

I see, thanks for trying

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Konrad Kawka​ , Are you using the Community Edition?

kkawka1
New Contributor III

Hi, @Kaniz Fatma​ 

Yes, we only have access to the community edition

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.