Select from a dynamic table name returned by databricks function

sgupta
New Contributor II
  • I have a databricks function that returns a table_name
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_func()
  RETURNS string
  READS SQL DATA
  RETURN    'table_name'
  • I want to select from the table that is returned by this function. How can I make it work in SQL, something like this -

SELECT * FROM (SELECT test_func())

Currently this SELECT is returning a single row with the table name and not the contents of the table name.

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sguptaTo achieve your goal of selecting data from the table returned by your Databricks function, you’ll need to use a table-valued function in SQL.

Let’s break down the steps:

1. Create a Table-Valued Function (TVF):

• Instead of using a scalar function (which returns a single value), you’ll create a TVF that returns a table.
    • Define the TVF to return the desired columns and rows based on your logic.
  2. Use the TVF in Your Query:

• Once the TVF is defined, you can use it in your query just like any other table.
    • The TVF will act as a virtual table, allowing you to join, filter, and select data from it.

Here’s an example of how you can modify your code to achieve this:

-- Create a table-valued function
CREATE OR ALTER FUNCTION dbo.test_func()
RETURNS @Result TABLE (
    -- Define the columns returned by the function
    table_name NVARCHAR(255)
)
AS
BEGIN
    INSERT INTO @Result (table_name)
    VALUES ('table_name'); -- Replace with your actual logic

RETURN;
END;

-- Now you can use the TVF in your query
SELECT *
FROM dbo.test_func();

Explanation:

• The @Result table variable within the TVF holds the data you want to return.
  • Modify the TVF logic inside the INSERT INTO @Result statement to fetch the actual data you need from your Databricks function.
  • The final SELECT * FROM dbo.test_func(); retrieves the data from the TVF.

Remember to replace 'table_name' with your actual data retrieval logic in the TVF.

Once you’ve defined the TVF, you can use it in your queries just like any other table123.

Feel free to adapt this example to your specific use case, and adjust the TVF columns and logic accordingly. Happy querying! 🚀

sgupta
New Contributor II

Thanks @Kaniz . This does not work in Databricks notebook, error attached. This looks like a SQL Server solution. 

sgupta
New Contributor II

I looked at this post

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/77475436/in-databricks-workbook-using-spark-sql-how-to-pass-para...

What I want is to replace the static table name with the table name passed as parameter (param_table_name). Is it possible?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION mydb.tbl_filter(a_val INT, param_table_name string)
RETURNS TABLE(a INT, b INT)
RETURN SELECT * FROM tbl_filter.param_table_name tf 
WHERE tf.a = tbl_filter.a_val;

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.