cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shallow copy in databricks

_deepak_
New Contributor II

Hi, I am new to Databricks. I need to setup a non-prod environment for which I need data of prod to be cloned in non-prod. Explored some and got to know about shallow copy. Is it possible to do shallow copy across environments? or Is it possible to do shallow clonning across different databricks instances?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

daniel_sahal
Esteemed Contributor

@deepak prasadโ€‹ 

I'm not sure it's possible to do that. Even with Unity Catalog enabled, you cannot use shallow clone.

You can do two things here:

Without UC - just simply recreate an empty table in your non-prod environment and do SELECT * from prod storage,

With UC - make sure that two workspaces are in the same metastore and you can either create views based on prod data or do a deep clone from prod to non-prod

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

daniel_sahal
Esteemed Contributor

@deepak prasadโ€‹ 

I'm not sure it's possible to do that. Even with Unity Catalog enabled, you cannot use shallow clone.

You can do two things here:

Without UC - just simply recreate an empty table in your non-prod environment and do SELECT * from prod storage,

With UC - make sure that two workspaces are in the same metastore and you can either create views based on prod data or do a deep clone from prod to non-prod

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group