cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SQL Notebook Tab Spacing

KFries
New Contributor

My SQL notebooks in databricks suffer from having at least several different counts of spaces between tab marks.  It makes it very difficult to maintain pretty code spacing.  What sets the tab spacing in SQL language notebooks, and how is it set/adjusted?  Also, I co-edit the notebooks using git/github and intelliJ (which could be a source of the problem), but I want the indenting to be correct for my tastes as rendered in the databricks notebook because that's where I run it with data.  I am constantly adjusting spacing using the ctrl-squarebracket shortcuts.

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @KFries, It sounds like you're dealing with a common issue with tab spacing in Databricks SQL notebooks. Databricks uses 2 spaces per tab by default, and while you can't change this setting globally, you can manually format your notebook via the "Edit > Format Notebook" option. If you're also using IntelliJ, ensure your tab and indentation settings there match your preferences for Databricks. For consistent formatting across tools, set up your `.editorconfig` file to enforce 2-space indentation in SQL files and use GitHub integration to maintain uniformity. Always format your code before committing to GitHub to keep things clean and consistent.

If you have any more specific issues or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group