Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Warehouse connections in us-east-2

marcus1
New Contributor III

I have 2 very similarly configured workspaces, one in us-west-2 and one in us-east-2.

Both got configured by default with a "Starter Warehouse".

The one in us-west-2 I can reach via the internet using python databricks-sql-connector, but the one in us-east-2 I can not. I performed a test on a workspace in us-east-1 and was able to connect.

Interestingly however the workspace in us-east-2 can query the datasources using the same "Starter Warehouse", with appropriate results.

TIA

9 REPLIES 9

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Maybe routing is configured differently in your VNET. That SQL warehouse, after all, is a machine in your VNET.Yyou can preview everything in resources in the azure portal (or AWS). As it is two different regions, it will be diffrent vents, and other rules can apply (routing table, etc.)

marcus1
New Contributor III

The workspaces were created identically with the CloudFormation automation provided by databricks. So both workspaces for instance allow access via DB cli and api, so the issue of routing from the public internet is not an issue, at least to the workspace.

When I curl the sql endpoint both respond.

But with the us-east-2 server:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/Users/marcussimonsen/work/analytics/db_sql_connector.py", line 4, in <module>

connection = sql.connect(

File "/Users/marcussimonsen/work/analytics/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/databricks/sql/__init__.py", line 50, in connect

return Connection(server_hostname, http_path, access_token, **kwargs)

File "/Users/marcussimonsen/work/analytics/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/databricks/sql/client.py", line 129, in __init__

self._session_handle = self.thrift_backend.open_session(

File "/Users/marcussimonsen/work/analytics/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/databricks/sql/thrift_backend.py", line 444, in open_session

response = self.make_request(self._client.OpenSession, open_session_req)

File "/Users/marcussimonsen/work/analytics/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/databricks/sql/thrift_backend.py", line 373, in make_request

self._handle_request_error(error_info, attempt, elapsed)

File "/Users/marcussimonsen/work/analytics/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/databricks/sql/thrift_backend.py", line 241, in _handle_request_error

raise network_request_error

databricks.sql.exc.RequestError: Error during request to server

Sivaprasad1
Valued Contributor II

@Marcus Simonsen​ 

could you check connectivity to endpoint from where you are running this code?

from linux terminal

nc -zv <Workspacename>.cloud.databricks.com 443 (Replace workspacename)

marcus1
New Contributor III

Connection suceeds. Curl to the SQL endpoint is also fine.

marcus1
New Contributor III

I noticed somthing in https://status.databricks.com/ that SQLServerless isn't operational in us-east-2. Can anyone confirm this?

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Now they are https://docs.databricks.com/release-notes/product/2022/october.html#serverless-sql-warehouses-are-av....

So it seems that was a problem because they were not yet available when you created the post, and it was some transition period.

marcus1
New Contributor III

Thanks Hubert! Still having the same exception as above. As a last resort I'll create another workspace in us-east-2 to see if I can reproduce.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Marcus Simonsen​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

marcus1
New Contributor III

Yes, newer clusters/warehouses spun up, are now reachable in us-east-2.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.