cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SqlContext in DBR 14.3

tariq
New Contributor III

I have a Databricks workspace in GCP and I am using the cluster with the Runtime 14.3 LTS (includes Apache Spark 3.5.0, Scala 2.12). I am trying to set the checkpoint directory location using the following command in a notebook:

spark.sparkContext.setCheckpointDir("/FileStore/checkpoint")

The sparkSession used here is the default that is init within the notebook. But I get the following error:

[JVM_ATTRIBUTE_NOT_SUPPORTED] Attribute `sparkContext` is not supported in Spark
Connect as it depends on the JVM. If you need to use this attribute, do not use Spark
Connect when creating your session. Visit https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-
getting-started.html#starting-point-sparksession for creating regular Spark Session in detail.

It seems in from spark 3.4 we have a spark connect object instead of the the regular sparkSession which does not have the sparkContext attribute. So, as suggested by the error I try to create a spark session using the following and then set the checkpoint directory:

from pyspark.sql import SparkSession

sc = SparkSession \
.builder \
.appName("Python Spark SQL basic example") \
.getOrCreate()
sc.sparkContext.setCheckpointDir("/FileStore/checkpoint")

But I get the same exact error? How do I use the sparkContext attribute in this version of spark and DBR?

3 REPLIES 3

jose_gonzalez

is this error also happening on other DBR versions or only this version shows this message?

sudipto84goswam
New Contributor II

Is this fixed on 14.3 DBR. I am also facing the same when using in Azure Databricks. I am just using df.rdd.getNumPartitions()

sudipto84goswam_0-1717251149018.png

RamlaS
New Contributor II

Same issue with broadcast too. Do you have a solution?

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!