Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tuple2 UDF not working

pankaj_kaushal
New Contributor

From a UDF i am trying to return a tuple. But looks like the tuple is not serialising and hence getting empty tuple.

Can some help me on this.

Attached code and output.

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @pankaj_kaushal , 

When you encounter a situation where the tuple returned from a User-Defined Function (UDF) in PySpark isn't serializable, it can cause problems. To make sure the returned object is serializable and can be handled correctly, you can try these solutions:

1. Convert Tuple to a Serializable Format: To address this issue, you can transform the tuple into a serializable format, such as a Map or a StructType. This means turning each part of the tuple into a key-value pair or a field within a struct. Later on, you can access each part using the keys or struct fields in your downstream code.

2. Use the Row Object: In PySpark, there's a handy tool called the Row object. It's serializable and lets you create an object with multiple fields to represent the different parts of your tuple. You can use the Row object to make the components of the tuple returned by your UDF serializable.

Here's a simplified example of using the Row object to achieve this:

# (Your UDF code here)
def my_udf(arg):
    return (1, 'hello', 2.5)

# Create a UDF that converts the tuple to a Row object
my_udf_row = udf(lambda arg: Row(x=arg[0], y=arg[1], z=arg[2]), "struct<x:bigint,y:string,z:double>")

# Apply the UDF to your DataFrame
df = sc.parallelize([(1, 2, 3)]).toDF(["a", "b", "c"])

3. Define a StructType Schema: Another approach involves defining a StructType schema that mirrors the structure of the returned tuple. Then, you can use the udf function to convert the returned tuples into a Row object that complies with the defined schema.

Here's an example of creating a StructType schema and using it with a UDF: 

# (Your UDF code here)
from pyspark.sql.types import StructType, StructField, IntegerType, StringType, FloatType

def my_udf():
    return (1, 'hello', 2.5)

# Define a schema that matches the tuple structure
schema = StructType([
    StructField("int_col", IntegerType()),
    StructField("string_col", StringType()),
    StructField("float_col", FloatType())
])

# Create a UDF that converts the tuple using the schema
my_udf_struct = udf(lambda: my_udf(), schema)

# Work with your DataFrame
df = spark.range(1)
df2 = df.withColumn("tuple_col", my_udf_struct())

By following one of these approaches, you can adjust your UDF to return a serializable object that works smoothly downstream.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.