cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit hive-metastore.service not found

Surya0
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

I've encountered an issue while trying to make use of the hive-metastore capability in Databricks to create a new database and table for our latest use case. The specific command I used was "create database if not exists newDB". However, I've noticed that the cluster operation has been running unusually long (over 10 minutes), which is not typical based on my experience.

In an attempt to troubleshoot, I came across a suggestion to restart the hive-metastore service using the command "%sh sudo service hive-metastore restart". This, however, resulted in an error: "Unit hive-metastore.service not found".

I've tried restarting the existing clusters and even created a new Standard_DS3_V2 cluster with 13.3 LTS runtime, but the issue persists. I'm wondering if I'm missing something in my approach or if there's a potential configuration issue. Could anyone advise on further steps I could take to diagnose this problem? Are there specific logs or settings I should be checking?

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Surya0
New Contributor III

Quick update, I resolved the issue. the problem was I created Azure Databricks inside Vnet without opening up default ports for Databricks to connect with MySql. Once I created the route table with the appropriate ports opened I can connect to Metastore. Thanks for the support Kaniz.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Surya0! It seems you’re facing a hiccup with the hive-metastore service in Databricks.

Let’s dive into some troubleshooting steps to get this sorted out:

Check Metastore Configuration:

Access Denied Error:

Schema Initialization:

Hive Metastore Location:

Logs and Diagnostics:

• Check the logs for any specific error messages. You can find them in the Databricks workspace or the cluster driver logs.
  • Look for any exceptions related to the metastore service or database connectivity.

Surya0
New Contributor III

Thanks for the debugging steps It helped me understand that Azure Databricks cannot reach the MYSQL server. I see this error now. 
"Failed to initialize pool: Could not connect to address=(host=consolidated-northeuropec2-prod-metastore-2.mysql.database.azure.com)(port=3306)(type=master) : Socket fail to connect to host:consolidated-northeuropec2-prod-metastore-2.mysql.database.azure.com, port:3306. connect timed out"  
From the research, it sounded like the problem with the firewall. 
I enabled the inbound connection for port 3306. (I am not quite sure I did correctly or not). Please share your thoughts on this error.
Thanks

Surya0
New Contributor III

Quick update, I resolved the issue. the problem was I created Azure Databricks inside Vnet without opening up default ports for Databricks to connect with MySql. Once I created the route table with the appropriate ports opened I can connect to Metastore. Thanks for the support Kaniz.

rakeshprasad1
New Contributor III

@Surya0 : i am facing same issue. stack trace is 

Could not connect to address=(host=consolidated-northeuropec2-prod-metastore-2.mysql.database.azure.com)(port=3306)(type=master) : Socket fail to connect to host:consolidated-northeuropec2-prod-metastore-2.mysql.database.azure.com, port:3306. consolidated-northeuropec2-prod-metastore-2.mysql.database.azure.com

My ADB is also running in our VNET.

this is my inbound

rakeshprasad1_0-1710405522263.png

and following is my outbound

rakeshprasad1_1-1710405567122.png

I did open 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.