Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Catalog is missing column in Catalog Explorer

chad_woodhead
New Contributor

I have just altered one of my tables and added a column.

ALTER TABLE tpch.customer ADD COLUMN C_CUSTDETAILS struct<key:string,another_key:string,boolean_key:boolean,extra_key:string,int_key:long,nested_object:struct<more:long,arrayOne:array<string>>>

As you can see this new column is of type Struct.

When I look at the table's DDL via a SHOW CREATE TABLE or DESCRIBE TABLE I can see the newly added column.

chad_woodhead_0-1706220653227.png

However, when I look at the table in Catalog Explorer in Unity Catalog the new column is not showing.

chad_woodhead_1-1706220693600.png

If I try to run the ADD COLUMN command again I get an error that the column exists.

I have tried running a REPAIR TABLE tpch.customer SYNC METADATA and that has not helped.

Does anyone know what might be going on and how to resolve this?

1 REPLY 1

LaurentLeturgez
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi @chad_woodhead 

Weird behavior as I tried to reproduce this into my environment on a delta external table as well as on a managed table. And I'm not able to reproduce what you encountered.

Which DBR version are you using ? I used the latest DBR 14.3 LTS to make my tests. What is the file format used (is it delta ?)

In the meantime, I suggest to raise a ticket to our support as there will be a second investigation track opened.

HTH.

Laurent

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.