cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading to 11.3lts, Sedona functions throwing null when previously worked fine in 7.3

Pazuzu7
New Contributor II

I'm in the process of upgrading to 11.3. I'm using spark 3.3.0, scala 2.12, maven and sedona 1.2.0 incubating and followed the installation as outlined by sedona here. Everything was running smoothly in version 7.3 but is currently throwing when reaching sedona functions and providing a null exception at the functions constructor.

โ€‹

To create the clusters, I pass a json config that has the init script location and the confs outlined in the link above. I then point maven to the standard coordinates (from what I understand it should check the jar location in databricks and if they aren't there download from the maven repo).

โ€‹

I have checked the data reaching the function and there are no null values in geometry. I have tried different versions, loading jars directly from dbfs, going through data manually for nulls or unexpected values. I've tried more than one dataset going to this function. All do the same thing.

โ€‹

I apologise if this doesn't make much sense, I don't have a lot of experience with databricks.

3 REPLIES 3

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, this looks like an issue with compatibility, could you please check if the dependency packages are also installed?

Also, I saw a note in the end of the link above, could you please confirm if this was done?

Note: You need to install the Sedona libraries via init script because the libraries installed via UI are installed after the cluster has already started, and therefore the classes specified by the config 

spark.sql.extensions

spark.serializer

, and 

spark.kryo.registrator

are not available at startup time.

Pazuzu7
New Contributor II

Yes, the Sedina libraries are installed via the init script described in the link. The configs are also set in the same json. I have checked the cluster on creation and the configs are set.

โ€‹

We have quite a few similar things that are going into databricks in the same way with the same library requirements and I see that some of my colleagues have neither used an init script nor set the spark configs and have no issues on running.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @William Honeymanโ€‹ 

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance! 

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group