Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use API to Clone Dashboards with Widgets in Databricks SQL?

bl12
New Contributor II

Hi, I manually created a template dashboard with one widget. I wanted to clone this dashboard using the Create Dashboard API however I don't know what to put for the widget object. What I did was use the Retrieve API on the template dashboard, and then copied the widget information to Create Dashboard API. But this just made a new dashboard with no widgets so how do you clone the widget too using the API?

Additionally, if it's possible to do that, would I be able to change the underlying query powering the widget on the cloned dashboard in the Create API?

https://docs.databricks.com/sql/api/queries-dashboards.html#operation/sql-analytics-create-dashboard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16752242622
Valued Contributor

Hi @Belle L​ 

Please try submitting a POST request to /api/dashboards/{dashboard id}/clone API

with a JSON request body like so:

{"name": "<desired name of new dashboard>"}

I believe, this way you can have a duplicate of the existing dashboard and widgets.

This is not documented yet. We have an internal ticket on this API to update the document.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Akash

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

User16752242622
Valued Contributor

Hi @Belle L​ 

Please try submitting a POST request to /api/dashboards/{dashboard id}/clone API

with a JSON request body like so:

{"name": "<desired name of new dashboard>"}

I believe, this way you can have a duplicate of the existing dashboard and widgets.

This is not documented yet. We have an internal ticket on this API to update the document.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Akash

Wout
Contributor

@Akash Bhat​ how do I clone a dashboard across workspaces? Being able to deploy dashboards (with widgets!) through the API is essential to set up proper Data Engineering workflows.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.