cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web terminal accessing /Workspace/Users under tmux

Twilight
New Contributor III

I found this old post (https://community.databricks.com/t5/data-engineering/databricks-cluster-web-terminal-different-permi...) that was never really answered.

I am having the same problem.  If I am in the raw terminal, I can access /Workspace/Users just fine but, as soon as I use tmux, I can't access /Workspace/Users (or any other dir under /Workspace).  The permissions and id look exactly the same in both cases.

This is a major issue given that I need to access /Workspace/Users and I need to run tmux (to keep the session "alive").

Does anyone have a solution?

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Twilight, To resolve this, ensure the `tmux` session runs under the same user context as the raw terminal, verify environment variables are set correctly, initialize `tmux` with the same shell and environment settings, check for any ACLs on the `/Workspace/Users` directory, and consider using the Databricks CLI if the problem persists. 

Let me know if you need more help or if there’s anything else you’d like to discuss!

Twilight
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply.  It's been a long time since I admin'd a linux system so I'm not quite following your response.

I'm seeing the issue just by doing the following steps:

1. start webterm
  2. ls /Workspace/Users (works fine)
  3. tmux
  4. ls /Workspace/Users (fails)

I've never seen tmux not "just work" on any other machine/VM.  Could you elaborate on your answer:

• How would tmux not be under the same user context as raw terminal?
  • What environment variables need to be set correctly?
  • How do I check ACLs on /Workspace/Users?  How would an ACL have an impact on raw term vs tmux?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group