Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When would you not want to use autoloader?

StephanieRivera
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

I am genuinely curious why would you ever not use Autoloader? I see it in one-off downloads of course. When you pull data from another platform, say Salesforce, is it better to append to a table without Autoloader?

There must be cases I am missing. Thoughts??

2 REPLIES 2

Tharun-Kumar
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@StephanieRivera 

Auto Loader is primarily used for processing files automatically as they arrive in cloud storage.

You can refer to this document on AutoLoader - https://docs.databricks.com/en/ingestion/auto-loader/index.html

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Autoloader is pretty handy, but not open source.  That is one reason f.e.
Another reason is f.e. if you cannot guarantee lexicographically generated files, or you do not want to use streaming, or you do not land your raw data into a data lake (read from db directly f.e.).
I still use a lot of batch processing using /.../YYYY/MM/DD directory structure without autoloader.
Not because I donยดt like it (I do use it for new setups), but because at the time it just did not exist and for a 1x/day batch job autoloader is not necessary.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.