Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can AAD group membership be used as object Owner in UC to edit object description?

dejans
New Contributor II

I wanted to set description of a schema in Unity Catalog.
Description was greyed out and on pencil icon I got: "Requires Ownership of SCHEMA 'xxxxx'."

Owner is set to the Azure Active Directory group that I am member of.
I was able to change the owner to my individual account and then I was able to modify description.
I assume that this is a defect?

4 REPLIES 4

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dejansDouble-check the ownership settings for the schema. Ensure that your individual account has the necessary ownership permissions. Also, confirm that the schema youโ€™re modifying is a system-schema supported by Unity Catalog.

dejans
New Contributor II

Hi @Kaniz,

I am able to use individual account to change description when I set my account explicitly. So, I do not think that this is a problem.
What does it mean "system schema"? My target schema is a schema in catalog.

dejans
New Contributor II

I am able to use individual account to change description when I set my account explicitly. So, I do not think that this is a problem.
What does it mean "system schema"? My target schema is a schema in catalog.

alexcary83
New Contributor II

AAD group membership cannot be used as the object owner in UC to edit object description directly. Object ownership typically refers to individual user accounts, not group memberships, in most systems.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.