cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with federation for Snowflake in Databricks SQL

bob1
New Contributor III

Hello, I am trying to test the new federation for Snowflake feature in Databricks SQL, following the docs (https://docs.databricks.com/query-federation/snowflake.html).

Environment:

• Subscription: Premium
  • Compute: DB SQL (serverless)
  • Metastore: Unity Catalog

I am trying to run the following query (but with the parameters for my own Snowflake environment, of course):

CREATE TABLE snowflake_table
USING snowflake
OPTIONS (
  dbtable '<table-name>',
  sfUrl '<database-host-url>',
  sfUser '<my_username>',
  sfPassword '<my_password>',
  sfDatabase '<database-name>',
  sfSchema '<schema-name>',
  sfWarehouse '<warehouse-name>'
);

However, I get the following error:

Unsupported operation detected in the query plan. Only Delta data source is supported for table creation or data writing.
Query plan:
CreateDataSourceTableCommand `main`.`default`.`snowflake_table`, false

Why is this happening and how can I get this working? What limitations to this new feature am I missing and need to be aware of? Thanks in advance for your guidance.

4 REPLIES 4

LandanG
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Bob TheBuilder​ ,

From what I can tell it seems like a bug that will be fixed in an upcoming release. While not ideal, are you able to run that SQL code from a Notebook and see if it works?

bob1
New Contributor III

Hi @Landan George​, thanks for the quick response. I get the following error if I try to run the SQL code from a Notebook:

SQLException: No suitable driver found for jdbc:snowflake://app.snowflake.com/region/foo/

Any suggestions?

LandanG
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Bob TheBuilder​ 

Does the below work in a notebook?

spark.sql(f"""
CREATE TABLE snowflake_table
USING snowflake
OPTIONS (
  dbtable '<table-name>',
  sfUrl '<database-host-url>',
  sfUser '<my_username>',
  sfPassword '<my_password>',
  sfDatabase '<database-name>',
  sfSchema '<schema-name>',
  sfWarehouse '<warehouse-name>'
)""")

If not you may need to use this method https://docs.databricks.com/external-data/snowflake.html to temporarily read data while the DB SQL bug is fixed.

bob1
New Contributor III

@Landan George​ thanks for sharing the code snippet — unfortunately no luck. Getting the same "No suitable driver found for [...]" error.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!