cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Exporting 'hive_metastore' Catalog Between Databricks Workspaces Using REST API and Python

akshatha11499
New Contributor II

Hello Databricks Community,

I am currently facing an issue while trying to export and import all catalogs from an old workspace to a newly created workspace using Databricks' REST API and Python. Here's a summary of my situation:

• Objective: I am attempting to export all catalogs, including 'hive_metastore', from an old workspace and import them into a newly created workspace using Python scripts and Databricks REST API.

• Current Status: I have successfully exported and imported all catalogs except for 'hive_metastore' using the following API endpoint:

endpoint_url = f"{workspace_url}/api/2.1/unity-catalog/catalogs"
  • Issue: Despite using the above endpoint, I have not been able to export or import the 'hive_metastore' catalog. I am specifically looking for guidance on how to achieve this using the Databricks REST API and Python.

• Additional Query: If exporting and importing the 'hive_metastore' catalog via the REST API is not feasible, what alternative methods or approaches can be used to achieve this task?

Could someone please provide insights or example code snippets on how to properly handle the export and import of the 'hive_metastore' catalog between Databricks workspaces using either the REST API or alternative methods?

Any documentation links, specific API endpoints related to 'hive_metastore', or alternative approaches would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

1 REPLY 1

akshatha11499
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I wanted to follow up on my previous question about exporting hive_merastore catalog from existing workspace and import it to a new workspace along with all its dependencies using rest api ,if not other alternative solution how to import hive_metastore catalog to new workspace . I'm still facing this issue and would really appreciate any insights or suggestions.

Thank you 

Best regards,
Akshatha S

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group