cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no information on character_maximum_length and is_identity in unity catalog table system.information_schema.columns

lizou
Contributor II

no information on character_maximum_length and is_identity in unity catalog table system.information_schema.columns

table definition example

CREATE TABLE tyable_name (

UniqueID bigint not null GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY , 

ID varchar(256)

)

looks like the columns table only has basic info such as data type

-- query column info

select *

from system.information_schema.columns

where table_name ='<table>' and table_catalog ='<catalog>'

7 REPLIES 7

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Could you please confirm on the issue here? Also, for reference: https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/migrate.html

, please let us know if this helps.

lizou
Contributor II

yes, I created a new managed table in the unity catalog, and the issues remain.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I confirm I have the same issue with the unity catalog: schema tables are missing some information, or they are incorrect. @Prabakar Ammeappinโ€‹ @Kaniz Fatmaโ€‹ @Sujitha Ramamoorthyโ€‹ maybe we can escalate to someone from Unity team

image.png

lizou
Contributor II

another issue is if a column is defined as varchar(50) as example

once a data is loaded, the full_data_type is changed to string. I tested multiple times, and looks like that's also an issue

before

imageafter data loaded with a insert statement

full_data_type is changed

imageselect column_name, full_data_type, data_type, character_maximum_length, ordinal_position, *

from system.information_schema.columns

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Werner Stinckensโ€‹ @Christy Setoโ€‹ @Jose Gonzalezโ€‹ can you help with that issue? It is a really interesting bug and a nice feature once it will work correctly.

Adding @Kaniz Fatmaโ€‹ and @Suteja Kanuriโ€‹ for visibility

anish2102
New Contributor III

Hello Team,

Still i am facing same issue of value zero in  character_maximum_length. Is there any other way we can get character_maximum_length of columns?

When we can expect to resolve this bug?

anish2102_0-1721814315091.png

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group