Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHOW PARTITIONS not supported

Pat
Honored Contributor III

Error in SQL statement: AnalysisException: SHOW PARTITIONS is not supported in Unity Catalog;

What happened with the SHOW PARTITIONS command?

Is this information available anywhere in the documentation?

If I go to Databricks SQL documentation there is no info this doesn't work with Unity Catalog:

https://docs.databricks.com/sql/language-manual/sql-ref-syntax-aux-show-partitions.html

I can of course do select distinct, but it's not what I've expected :). Yet another limitation with Unity Catalog.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pat
Honored Contributor III

I got answer from the support that there is no 'SHOW PARTITIONS' in Unity Catalog as "UC doesn't manage the partitions for tables".

They suggested for work around `LIST` command, this is what I was able to came up with.

The problem I see here, is for the end users working with the External Tables. They will need to run the query I guess on the table:

select * from table where part_1 = 'something' limit 1;

to be able to discover partitions :).

is this Yet Another Limitation? Databricks seems to be more limitations now and you need to talk to support to find out how to work with it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Pat
Honored Contributor III

I got answer from the support that there is no 'SHOW PARTITIONS' in Unity Catalog as "UC doesn't manage the partitions for tables".

They suggested for work around `LIST` command, this is what I was able to came up with.

The problem I see here, is for the end users working with the External Tables. They will need to run the query I guess on the table:

select * from table where part_1 = 'something' limit 1;

to be able to discover partitions :).

is this Yet Another Limitation? Databricks seems to be more limitations now and you need to talk to support to find out how to work with it.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.