cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Databricks Community Champions
Experts dedicated to assisting community members by answering inquiries and producing high-quality content such as blogs, vlogs, and events. They consistently share and collaborate through their own platforms, always exuding enthusiasm and positivity.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sujitha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Meet Szymon Dybczak, a valued member of our community! Szymon is a Senior Data Engineer at Nordcloud. He brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the group, and we're thrilled to have him here.

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 5.41.45 PM.png

We presented him with a range of questions, and below, you will find his responses, expressed in his own words -

• Name: Szymon Dybczak 🌟
  • Community nickname: @szymon_dybczak 
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Company: Nordcloud
  • Job Title: Senior Data Engineer

Can you provide a brief overview of your career journey leading up to your current role?

I started my career as a data engineer in 2017, initially focusing on the maintenance and development of a large data warehouse for a leading energy company in Poland. This experience gave me a solid foundation in working with complex data architectures.

Later, I decided to shift toward cloud technologies, specifically Azure, which led me to my first encounter with Databricks and the concept of Lakehouse architecture. Since then, I have been expanding my expertise in cloud-based data solutions, leveraging modern tools and frameworks to optimize data processing and storage.

If you had to describe yourself using three words, what would they be? How do you think your coworkers would describe you?

If I had to describe myself in three words, I would choose adaptable, fast learner, and goal-driven. I’m not afraid of new challenges and always strive to find innovative solutions.

I believe my coworkers would describe me as a reliable team player who is always ready to support the team, a problem solver who enjoys tackling complex tasks, and someone who tries to bring a positive attitude to the workplace.

Have you had any mentors or significant influences in your professional life? If so, could you tell us about them?

Yes, I’ve had several significant influences throughout my career. In a previous job, I was fortunate to work with a group of colleagues who had a huge impact on my professional growth. From them, I learned a lot about development approaches, best practices, and problem-solving techniques. We shared knowledge freely, which helped me sharpen my skills and adopt more effective strategies for handling complex projects.

This collaborative environment had a lasting effect on how I approach my work today. It emphasizes the importance of teamwork, continuous learning, and applying best practices in every project.

When and why did you first start using Databricks?

I first started using Databricks about 3 year ago when my team was tasked with handling large-scale data processing for a cloud-based project. We chose Databricks primarily due to its powerful ability to process big data efficiently and its seamless integration with Azure. One of the key reasons was the platform's flexibility—it supports multiple programming languages like Python, Scala, and SQL and collaborative experience thanks to notebooks, which allowed us to leverage the best tools for different tasks.

Are there any Databricks features that you particularly enjoy or find indispensable in your work?

Yes, several Databricks features are particularly useful in my work. One of them is Databricks Autoloader, which significantly simplifies the process of loading data incrementally. This has been a game-changer for keeping our data pipelines running smoothly and efficiently.

Another key feature I frequently rely on is Databricks Workflows, which helps automate and orchestrate complex data. I’m especially excited about the recent addition of the for each loop task, which allows for better control over iteration within workflows, improving automation and reducing manual intervention.

Is there a Databricks feature you wish existed or would like to see in future updates?

Yes, I would like to see further improvements and additions to Databricks Workflows. I’m also looking forward to Attribute-Based Access Controls in Unity Catalog.

When did you join the Databricks Community, and what motivated you to do so?

A colleague introduced me to the Databricks Community, and since then, I have found it to be a great place to develop my skills and expand my knowledge of the product by helping fellow developers.

What aspects of the Databricks Community do you find most valuable or enjoyable?
One of the most valuable aspects of the Databricks Community is the opportunity to connect with experienced developers who share their knowledge and experiences. It’s an excellent environment for expanding my understanding of the platform and learning best practices.

I also find great satisfaction in helping others within the community. Helping colleagues in the community not only reinforces my own learning but also provides a rewarding sense of contribution.

Outside of work, what is your favourite hobby or pastime?

Outside of work, I enjoy several hobbies. I’m a big fan of football and support Chelsea London, so I love following their matches and celebrating their successes. I also enjoy hiking in the mountains, which allows me to connect with nature and stay active. Recently, I’ve started playing tennis, which has been a fun new challenge and a great way to stay fit.

Where do you envision yourself professionally in the next three years?

In the next three years, I envision myself deepening my expertise in Databricks as a product. I aim to build more Lakehouse architectures and expand my knowledge in data management and cloud technologies. Additionally, I would like to mentor others in the community, sharing my insights and experiences to help them grow in their careers as well. 

Social Media Handles
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/szymon-dybczak/

Thank you for sharing your personal and professional journey with us. We appreciate the opportunity to learn from your experiences @szymon_dybczak 😊🌟

Come, let's embark on a journey celebrating the experiences of our Community members. Make sure to connect with him to learn more about his experience and insights in the data engineering space! Your next source of motivation awaits with just a scroll! 🚀

2 Comments