cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Generative AI
Explore discussions on generative artificial intelligence techniques and applications within the Databricks Community. Share ideas, challenges, and breakthroughs in this cutting-edge field.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to to create vector search index on multiple columns in the delta table

prasadvaze
Valued Contributor II

I want to create vector search index on a delta table using multiple "Embedding source column" from the table.  I don't see an option to choose multiple columns so what's the alternative?  create index per source column?  so multiple indexes for single delta table?   But then my front end Search App wants to search the delta table using index on both columns so how do I achieve that?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @prasadvaze

• Unfortunately, the UI doesn’t directly support creating an index on multiple columns.
  • However, you can create separate indexes for each source column (one per column).
  • To achieve searching on both columns, you’ll need to query both indexes simultaneously in your front-end Search App.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @prasadvaze

• Unfortunately, the UI doesn’t directly support creating an index on multiple columns.
  • However, you can create separate indexes for each source column (one per column).
  • To achieve searching on both columns, you’ll need to query both indexes simultaneously in your front-end Search App.

prasadvaze
Valued Contributor II

if not thru UI then is there another way to create index on multiple columns?   Or this on the roadmap for future?

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!