cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Generative AI
Explore discussions on generative artificial intelligence techniques and applications within the Databricks Community. Share ideas, challenges, and breakthroughs in this cutting-edge field.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is enabling Unity catalog Mandatory to run the LLM Chatbot With RAG, DBRX demo?

Abhishek_blue
New Contributor

Hi! I am new to databricks. I was trying to run the RAG demo notebooks in databricks (@ Link to the demo: Deploy Your LLM Chatbot With Retrieval Augmented Generation (RAG), Foundation Models and Vector Sear...), in which the 00-init notebook in the resources folder did not run. The error: unity catalog not enabled.

[UC_NOT_ENABLED] Unity Catalog is not enabled on this cluster. SQLSTATE: 56038
File <command-164724802993156>, line 13 11 catalogs = [r['catalog'] for r in spark.sql("SHOW CATALOGS").collect()] 12 if catalog not in catalogs: ---> 13 spark.sql(f"CREATE CATALOG IF NOT EXISTS {catalog}") 14 if catalog == 'dbdemos': 15 spark.sql(f"ALTER CATALOG {catalog} OWNER TO `account users`")

Is enabling unity catalog mandatory? If not, how do I proceed?

Thank you in advance ๐Ÿ™‚
1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Abhishek_blue, The error message you encountered, โ€œ[UC_NOT_ENABLED] Unity Catalog is not enabled on this cluster,โ€ indicates that the Unity Catalog feature is not enabled for your Databricks cluster.

Letโ€™s address your questions:

1. Is enabling Unity Catalog mandatory?

• The Unity Catalog is a powerful feature in Databricks that provides a unified metadata catalog for managing tables, views, and other data assets. It allows you to organize and query your data more efficiently.
    • However, enabling Unity Catalog is not mandatory. You can still work with Databricks without it, but you wonโ€™t have access to the additional features it provides.
  2. How do you proceed?

• If you want to enable Unity Catalog, follow these steps:
      • Workspace Configuration:
        • Go to your Databricks workspace.
        • Click on the โ€œWorkspaceโ€ tab.
        • Click โ€œUpdate Workspace.โ€
        • Toggle the โ€œEnable Unity Catalogโ€ switch to the ON position.
        • Choose the corresponding metastore from the dropdown (the one assigned to your workspace).
        • Click โ€œUpdate.โ€
      • Cluster Configuration:
        • Make sure you are using a Databricks Runtime (DBR) version greater than 11.
        • Check that credential passthrough is not enabled.
        • Verify that the Unity Catalog tag is associated with your cluster.
      • Notebook Usage:
        • In your notebook, use the USE CATALOG statement to work with the Unity Catalog. For example:
          %sql
          USE CATALOG my_new_catalog;
          USE SCHEMA my_schema;
          SELECT * FROM my_table;

• If you encounter any issues during these steps, consider checking your Databricks account or subscription settings.
  3. Cluster vs. Workspace:

• The error message refers to the โ€œcluster.โ€ In this context:
      • The โ€œworkspace clusterโ€ is the compute cluster associated with your Databricks workspace.
      • The โ€œcompute clusterโ€ is where your notebooks run.
    • Ensure that Unity Catalog is enabled for both the workspace and the compute cluster.

Remember that Unity Catalog enhances data governance and simplifies data discovery, but itโ€™s not strictly required. Feel free to proceed based on your specific needs! ๐Ÿ˜Š

For more details, you can refer to the official Databricks documentation. If you encounter any further issues, donโ€™t hesitate to ask for additional assistance! ๐Ÿš€

Sources:

1. Databricks Community Forum: Unity Catalog Not Enabled
  2. DevCodeF1: Databricks Community Version Error Message: UnityCatalog Not Enabled
  3. Databricks Community Forum: Unable to Query Unity Catalog Tables from Notebooks
  4. Stack Overflow: Unity Catalog Not Enabled on Cluster in Databricks
  5. Databricks Community Forum: โ€˜Unity Catalog Volumes is not enabled on this instanceโ€™ Error12345

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!