cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Azure Databricks notebook can't be renamed

luna675
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm new to Databricks and just started using it for my work project. I've been trying creating test notebooks for practice purposes, but when I tried to rename it, either just through clicking the title or clicking edit from file, it showed "Renaming the element failed: Method Not Allowed".

Also when I tried to move a notebook to another folder, it showed the similar message: "Method Not Allowed".

Does anyone know what is going on here? I super need this for my projects. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you working in your own home directory in the workspace?

For other directories you might not have access, but your own home shouldn't be an issue

youssefmrini
Honored Contributor III

The issue you are encountering with renaming or moving notebooks could be due to a permissions issue in Databricks. Here are a few things you can check:

1. Check your workspace permissions:

Ensure that you have the appropriate permission to edit and move notebooks in your Databricks workspace. To check your permissions, go to the workspace homepage and click on the "Permissions" tab.

Make sure that you have "Can Manage" permissions for the folder or workspace where the notebook exists.

1. Check your notebook permissions:

Ensure that you have the appropriate permissions specifically for the notebook you are trying to rename or move. To check the notebook permissions, click on the notebook and select "Permissions" from the "File" drop-down menu.

Make sure that the user or group has "Read" and "Write" permissions for the notebook.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group