Get Started Discussions
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAD_REQUEST: ExperimentIds cannot be empty when checking ACLs in bulk

sarvar-anvarov
New Contributor II

I was going through this tutorial https://mlflow.org/docs/latest/getting-started/tracking-server-overview/index.html#method-2-start-yo..., I ran the whole script and when I try to open the experiment on the databricks website I get this error: "BAD_REQUEST: ExperimentIds cannot be empty when checking ACLs in bulk". I get the same error when I try to create a new experiment directly on the databricks website.

sarvaranvarov_0-1710056939049.png

6 REPLIES 6

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sarvar-anvarovIt appears that you’re encountering an issue related to ACLs (Access Control Lists) when working with Databricks and Amazon S3.

Let’s break down the problem and explore potential solutions:

1. ACLs and Object Ownership:

2. The Error Message:

• The error message you’re encountering, “BAD_REQUEST: ExperimentIds cannot be empty when checking ACLs in bulk,” suggests that there’s an issue related to ACLs during an operation involving multiple experiments.
    • It seems to be related to the interaction between Databricks and Amazon S3.
  3. Possible Solutions:

4. Review AWS Changes:

Remember to adjust the steps based on your specific use case and ensure that your bucket configuration aligns with your requirements. If you’re still facing issues, consider reaching out for further assistance. 🚀

stanjs
New Contributor III

Hi, I also encounter the same issue. I used Mlflow to log results as experiments in Databricks CE. It works perfectly fine before but I suddenly encountered this error. I am sure I didn't change any settings. And strangely I noticed that the URL is different from before when I clicked the same experiment.

kdfkas
New Contributor II

Hi @Kaniz,

I'm also having the same issue in Databricks CE. 
This error is related to S3 bucket hosting CE. Is it possible to change the bucket policy on user's end?
I researched it, but I couldn't get the answer.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sarvar-anvarovIt seems you’ve encountered an issue related to ACLs (Access Control Lists) while working with MLflow and Databricks.

Let’s break down the problem and explore potential solutions.

1. Background:

2. Error Message:

• The error message you encountered, “BAD_REQUEST: ExperimentIds cannot be empty when checking ACLs in bulk,” suggests that there’s an issue with ACLs when checking experiment permissions in bulk.
  3. Possible Solutions:

• 1. Object Ownership Settings:
      • Bucket owner enforced (default): This setting disables ACLs, and the bucket owner automatically owns and controls every object in the bucket. ACLs no longer affect access permissions to data in the S3 bucket. The bucket uses policies exclusively for access control 2.
      • Solution: Check if your bucket has the correct ObjectOwnership setting. If it’s set to BucketOwnerEnforced, ACLs won’t work. You may need to adjust this setting.
    • 2. Existing Bucket ACLs:
    • 3. Bucket Policy:
      • You attempted to use a bucket policy to grant public access. However, if your bucket already has ACLs, applying bucket owner enforced is not straightforward.
      • Solution: Consider removing existing ACLs and then applying the bucket owner enforced setting. Adjust your bucket policy accordingly.
    • 4. CloudFormation:
  4. Next Steps:

• Review Object Ownership:
      • Familiarize yourself with the concept of Object Ownership and how it affects ACLs.
    • Check Bucket Settings:
      • Verify the ObjectOwnership setting for your bucket.
    • Adjust ACLs or Policies:
      • Depending on your use case, either adjust ACLs or create/update bucket policies.
    • Test Again:
      • After making changes, try accessing your experiment again.

Remember to proceed carefully, especially if you’re new to AWS. If you encounter any issues, consult AWS documentation or seek assistance from experienced AWS users. Good luck! 🚀

stanjs
New Contributor III

Hi did u resolve that? I encountered the same error

Hi, @stanjs , couldn't resolve that. I forgot to mention that I am also using databricks ce, so I can't change any s3 bucket configurations or etc. I'm guessing they are provided by MLflow or Databricks, but I am not sure.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.