cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how do committed-use discounts work?

BillGuyTheScien
New Contributor II

How do committed-use discounts work for Databricks?  Do I purchase a chunk of DBUs for a flat fee and then draw down on them until exhausted?  Or am I purchasing a % discount to all DBUs I use until the time period ends?

In either case, is this reflected in the billable usage log downloads?

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @BillGuyTheScienLet me explain how committed-use discounts work for Databricks.

1. Committed-Use Discounts (CUDs):

• When you commit to certain levels of usage, Databricks offers you discounts. The larger your usage commitment, the greater the discount compared to pay-as-you-go pricing.
    • These discounts are flexible and can be applied across multiple clouds.
    • Essentially, youโ€™re committing to a specific amount of usage, and in return, you get cost savings.
  2. How It Works:

• You donโ€™t purchase a fixed chunk of DBUs upfront. Instead, you commit to using a certain amount of Databricks resources (DBUs) over a specified period (e.g., monthly or annually).
    • The committed usage can be spread across various Databricks services and workloads.
    • As you use Databricks, the committed usage is drawn down. Youโ€™re billed based on the committed level, not the actual usage.
    • If you exceed the committed usage, any additional usage is billed at the standard pay-as-you-go rate.
  3. Billing and Usage Logs:

• The committed usage and associated discounts are reflected in your billing statements.
    • When you download the billable usage logs, youโ€™ll see details about the committed usage and the corresponding discounts applied.
    • These logs provide transparency into how your committed usage aligns with actual usage.

BillGuyTheScien
New Contributor II

Thanks @Kaniz_Fatma that helps!  

What is the commitment term?  one month? one year?

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!