cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Unity Catalog - Limited Options for Connection Objects

MiroFuoli
New Contributor II

Iā€™m currently trying to create a Foreign Catalog based on a Connection object of type SQLSERVER. This would allow me to directly access our on-premises MS SQL database from within Azure Databricks using Unity Catalog.

As Iā€™m part of a large organization, I have only limited control over the allowed connection types to this on-premises database. Thus, I'm required to specify the authentication scheme and enable integrated security to establish a successful connection.

Unfortunately, only a limited number of connection options are available according to the documentation, supported options are:

• host
  • port
  • trustServerCertificate
  • user
  • password

When I connect to the on-premises database using pyspark with the SQL Server JDBC driver it works, as the driver allows me to pass a connection string where I can specify integrated security to be true and the correct authentication scheme. However, with this approach I can't leverage from federated queries and need to connect to each table in the foreign database separately.

Is there any other approach to creating a Connection object in Unity Catalog that allows me to pass additional configuration options? What are the default properties used when creating a Connection object of type SQLSERVER?

Ultimately, I would like to have my on-premises SQL Server database accessible within Unity Catalog so I can leverage federated query execution.

0 REPLIES 0
Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!