cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Knowledge Sharing Hub
Dive into a collaborative space where members like YOU can exchange knowledge, tips, and best practices. Join the conversation today and unlock a wealth of collective wisdom to enhance your experience and drive success.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unable to mount GCS bucket with underscores in the name

legobricks
New Contributor II

I have two buckets with the same configurations and labels.One is named my-bucket and the other is my_bucket. I am able to mount my-bucket but get an opaque error message when trying to mount my_bucket. Is this known/expected behavior? Are underscores unsupported in bucket names? I know AWS does not support them

4 REPLIES 4

Walter_C
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hello it seems this is a known issue which is being worked by our engineering team. This is because when handling the mount point information we are using java.net.URI which does not accept _ in the hostname

legobricks
New Contributor II

Thanks Walter. Is there a workaround beyond deleting/renaming/duplicating the buckets? That would be duping a lot of data.

legobricks
New Contributor II

@Walter_C  thanks again for the update. Following up with another question as we need to make a decision on our bucket naming this week. Is there documentation explaining any other limitations, or any other unsupported characters? We'd hate to have to migrate everything again

NandiniN
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hi @legobricks ,

Curious on the error that you are getting. However, for GCS - https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/buckets#naming I do see underscores are allowed but there is also a note below:

You can use a bucket name in a DNS record as part of a CNAME or A redirect.This means that your bucket name should not use underscores (_) or have a period next to another period or dash. For example, ..-., and .- are invalid character combinations within DNS names.

This lists the general bucket naming rules for AWS. https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/userguide/bucketnamingrules.html 

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.