cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Machine Learning
Dive into the world of machine learning on the Databricks platform. Explore discussions on algorithms, model training, deployment, and more. Connect with ML enthusiasts and experts.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accessing Unity Catalog's MLFlow model registry from outside Databricks

rahuja
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone

We are integrating Unity Catalog in our Organisation's Databricks. In our case we are planning to move our inference from Databricks to Kubernetes. In order to make the inference code use the latest registered model we need to query the model registry from outside Databricks. So I wanted to ask:
1. Is the model registry exposed via a public api?

2. If not how can we do this?

Thanks in advance for your time.

3 REPLIES 3

mhiltner
Databricks Employee
Databricks Employee

Hey @rahuja

If you register your models in Unity Catalog (and they effectively appear on your Catalog Explorer) you could use Delta sharing for your models. https://docs.databricks.com/en/data-sharing/index.html 

Also, curious about the decision. Databricks serving capabilities are quite good, what are the benefits that you are looking for with this migration? 

rahuja
New Contributor III

Hello @mhiltner 

Currently we are contemplating whether to do this or not. In my organisation this decision is based due to cost. We already have a managed Kubernetes cluster that we are paying for.

p4pratikjain
Contributor

I have used glue in the past to score models that are registered in Databricks mlflow registry. You need to configure MLFlow on Kubernetes to access your model registry.
You can use something like this - 
https://docs.databricks.com/en/mlflow/access-hosted-tracking-server.html

Pratik Jain

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group