cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Machine Learning
Dive into the world of machine learning on the Databricks platform. Explore discussions on algorithms, model training, deployment, and more. Connect with ML enthusiasts and experts.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can view Model Registry using a Service Principal, but cannot load the model for inference.

JC3
New Contributor II

I have a Service Principal (for M2M auth) with read access to a Databricks Model Registry. I can successfully search the registry (via the `WorkspaceClient`) and find the model that I want to load using (Python) APIs, but I cannot load the model for inference.

Loading for inference seems to require MLFlow, but each time I try to use `mlflow.MlflowClient` to load a model, it errors out with `InvalidConfigurationError: You haven't configured the CLI yet!`.

I need to be able to use M2M auth, and configuring the CLI is not possible in my workflow.

How can I use the M2M auth approach to load models with MLFlow, or is there a different model-loading workflow that needs to be followed?

2 REPLIES 2

Kumaran
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hello @JC3,

Thank you for posting your question in the Databricks community.

Is it possible to share with us the minimum reproducible code?

JC3
New Contributor II

Thank you, @Kumaran.

The short version of this is below. Note that I have the following env vars loaded at runtime:

• DATABRICKS_HOST
  • DATABRICKS_CLIENT_ID
  • DATABRICKS_CLIENT_SECRET
  • MLFLOW_TRACKING_URI

import os
import
mlflow

if __name__ == "__main__":
# attempt to use mlflow to search model registry and load model
mlflow_client = mlflow.MlflowClient(
registry_uri=os.getenv('MLFLOW_TRACKING_URI')
)

model_name = 'test-model'
for model in mlflow_client.search_model_versions(filter_string=f"name='{model_name}'"):
pymodel = mlflow.pyfunc.load_model(model_uri=f"models:/{model.name}/{model.version}")

If DATABRICKS_CLIENT_ID and DATABRICKS_CLIENT_SECRET were replaced by a personal access token at  DATABRICKS_TOKEN, then this works as expected. But not when using the Service principal's client id and secret, which is what I hope to use, so that auth is M2M.

Can you help here?

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!