Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Machine Learning
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use both `Dynamic partition overwrites` and `overwriteSchema` options when writing a DataFrame to a Delta table?"

Thanapat_S
Contributor

In my ETL case, I want to be able to adjust the table schema as needed, meaning the number of columns may increase or decrease depending on the ETL script. Additionally, I would like to use dynamic partition overwrite to avoid potential errors when using the replacewhere option.

But based on the information provided in the document "Selectively overwrite data with Delta Lake | Databricks on AWS" it seems that this functionality is not yet supported. imageIs there a solution for this?

I appreciate your support. 🙏

For your information:

Databricks Runtime: 11.3 LTS (includes Apache Spark 3.3.0, Scala 2.12)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

No and I don't see how. With Dynamic Partition Overwrite, existing logical partitions for which the write does not contain data remain unchanged.

This assumes an identical schema for all partitions, which is not guaranteed with overwriteSchema.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

No and I don't see how. With Dynamic Partition Overwrite, existing logical partitions for which the write does not contain data remain unchanged.

This assumes an identical schema for all partitions, which is not guaranteed with overwriteSchema.

Vartika

Hi @Thanapat Sontayasara​,

Does @Werner Stinckens​'s response answer your question? If yes, would you be happy to mark it as best so that other members can find the solution more quickly? If not, would you be happy to give us more information?

Thanks! 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.