cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Machine Learning
Dive into the world of machine learning on the Databricks platform. Explore discussions on algorithms, model training, deployment, and more. Connect with ML enthusiasts and experts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MetadataChangedException Exception in databricks

thushar
Contributor

Reading around 20 text files from ADLS, doing some transformations, and after that these files are written back to ADLS as a single delta file (all operations are in parallel through the thread pool). Here from 20 threads, it is writing to a single file, using dataframe.append method. and getting the below error,

"Exception type : MetadataChangedException Exception message : The metadata of the Delta table has been changed by a concurrent update. Please try the operation again. ,operation:WRITE,operationParameters:{mode:Append,partitionBy:[]} readVersion:0,isolationLevel:WriteSerializable,isBlindAppend:true,operationMetrics:{numFiles:20,numOutputRows:1650135,numOutputBytes:80649658}} Refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/databricks/delta/concurrency-control for more details"

This is an INSERT operation, hence should be treated as blind INSERTS and the default isolation level, then why I am getting the concurrent update/metadata change exception here? Any idea ?

3 REPLIES 3

Sandeep
Contributor III

Can you share a sample code?

See the code below

df.write.format("delta")\

.mode('append')\

.option("overwriteSchema",False)\

.option("mergeSchema",True)\

.save(/mnt/r/xyz.delta)

naga_databricks
Contributor

I have seen this problem with Identity column causing concurrency issues. But you seem to be getting similar error when writing to files. I don't know completely know your use case completely here, but would advice retrying this operation by managing the MetadataException in a try except block. Let us know what solved the problem?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group