cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Training offerings
Explore discussions on Databricks training programs and offerings within the Community. Get insights, recommendations, and support from peers to maximize your learning experience and advance your skills in data analytics and machine learning.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob: how to import training material

TamD
New Contributor III

Hi.

I'm just getting started with Databricks & am having trouble importing the course materials.  So far, only one of the courses I'm taking has had instructions for finding and importing the course files, but the location was wrong (it's at the bottom of the TOC on the left, not under the video), there are no .dbc files, and importing the stuff into Databricks via the context menu > Import option strips off the folder structure and just dumps all of the files directly to to Home with no organisation.

What am I missing?  What's the correct way to get the course materials imported and set up?

Cheers!

TamD_0-1724026291046.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TamD
New Contributor III

Ah!  Okay, I was trying to import the uncompressed course materials folder and contents (subfolders, etc.), and getting just a dump of all of the files.

If I right-click > Import the .zip archive, it comes in fine, with the folder structures intact.  D'oh!

The instructions for downloading and importing the materials should still be updated to reflect that they are now at the bottom of the TOC, not under the video.  (Also, would recommend spelling out or replacing acronyms like "DBC" or "DE" so it's obvious what it is.). Cheers!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

szymon_dybczak
Contributor

Hi @TamD ,

Could you paste the course name? I'll try to check it

TamD
New Contributor III

It seems to be all of the ones I've tried so far.  All of them strip the folder structure when imported to Databricks.

These have the incorrect "DE Access Course Material" video instructions:

https://customer-academy.databricks.com/learn/course/1174/introduction-to-unity-catalog

https://customer-academy.databricks.com/learn/course/1177/unity-catalog-patterns-and-best-practices

This one has no download/import instructions, but the course content assumes you are following along in a notebook, and it does have a "Course DBC" download at the bottom of the TOC:

https://customer-academy.databricks.com/learn/course/2469/get-started-with-databricks-for-data-engin...

TamD
New Contributor III

Ah!  Okay, I was trying to import the uncompressed course materials folder and contents (subfolders, etc.), and getting just a dump of all of the files.

If I right-click > Import the .zip archive, it comes in fine, with the folder structures intact.  D'oh!

The instructions for downloading and importing the materials should still be updated to reflect that they are now at the bottom of the TOC, not under the video.  (Also, would recommend spelling out or replacing acronyms like "DBC" or "DE" so it's obvious what it is.). Cheers!

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group