cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Error During Spark SQL Phase Optimization – Possible Bug in Spark/Databricks Runtime

dikokob
New Contributor II
We are experiencing the following issues.

Description:

I encountered an issue while executing a Spark SQL query in Databricks, and it seems to be related to the query optimization phase. The error message suggests an internal bug within Spark or the Spark plugins used in our environment. I am reaching out to report this issue and seek assistance in troubleshooting and resolving it.

Error Message:

[INTERNAL_ERROR] The Spark SQL phase optimization failed with an internal error. You hit a bug in Spark or the Spark plugins you use. Please, report this bug to the corresponding communities or vendors, and provide the full stack trace. SQLSTATE: XX000

Environment Details:

• Cloud: Azure
  • Compute: SQL Warehouse, Serverless
  • Channel: (v 2024.35)
  • Size: X-Small

Query:

Here is the SQL query that triggered the internal error:

WITH isos AS ( SELECT DISTINCT Name AS full_name, CAST(RecordingTime AS DATE) AS test_date, LOWER(TestType) AS test_type, TestTypeName, CASE WHEN LOWER(TestTypeName) = 'slppf' OR LOWER(TestType) = 'rsaip' THEN 'ankle iso push' WHEN LOWER(TestTypeName) = 'slsquat' OR LOWER(TestType) = 'rskip' THEN 'knee iso push' WHEN LOWER(TestTypeName) = 'slhipext' OR LOWER(TestType) = 'rship' THEN 'hip iso push' ELSE LOWER(TestTypeName) END AS test_type_name, Limb, `Peak Vertical Force / BW` AS peak_vertical_force FROM <catalog>.<schema>.<table> ), isos_next AS ( SELECT * FROM isos
WHERE test_type_name = 'hip iso push'   ) SELECT * FROM isos_next;

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Executed the above SQL query within a Databricks notebook.
  2. The error occurs during query execution, specifically during the Spark SQL optimization phase.

Troubleshooting Attempts:

• I simplified the query to isolate the issue, and it appears to be related to the internal Spark SQL optimizer.
  • I've checked for any unsupported functions or potential syntax issues, but the query seems valid based on Spark SQL syntax.

Request:

I believe this may be a bug in Spark or the Databricks runtime, and I would appreciate guidance on resolving it. If further investigation is required, I am happy to provide any additional details or logs.

0 REPLIES 0

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group