cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission Error When Running DELETE FROM

Carsten03
New Contributor III

Hi,

I want to remove duplicate rows from my managed delta table in my unity catalog. I use a query on a SQL warehouse similar to this:

WITH cte AS (
SELECT 
id, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY id,##,##,## ORDER BY ts) AS row_num
FROM 
    catalog.schema.table
) DELETE FROM cte WHERE row_num > 1;

Using this I get following error:

Could not verify permissions for DeleteFromTable (row_num#734 > 1)

I checked the grants where I have ALL PRIVILEGES and the IAM Role (we are on AWS) for the external location and I have permissions to delete from S3. Is there anything else I have to set to be able to delete rows or is there anything wrong with my query? I couldn't find anything online.

2 REPLIES 2

Carsten03
New Contributor III

I have first tried to use _metadata.row_index to delete the correct rows but also this resulted in an error. My solution was now to use spark and overwrite the table.

table_name = "catalog.schema.table"
df = spark.read.table(table_name)
count_df = df.count()
dedup = df.drop_duplicates()
count_dedup = dedup.count()
count_df - count_dedup
dedup.write.mode("overwrite").saveAsTable(table_name)
assert spark.read.table(table_name).count() == count_dedup

I would still be interested if anyone has a good approach using SQL for this.

ac0
New Contributor III

Pitching in here since i had the same problem: the issue you can't delete from a CTE; you need to delete from the actual table which can be joined to the CTE.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group