cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serverless SQL warehouses on GCP?

LeoRickli
New Contributor II

According to the official Databricks documentation on GCP, I should have the ability to deploy a serverless SQL warehouse inside Databricks. Following the documentation, it is requested to turn on Serverless SQL warehouses (On), but there is nothing in Databricks that is resembling this option. So here is my question:

Is it possible to implement Serverless SQL warehouses on GCP?

The image below shows the options that I have inside Settings for SQL warehouses, there is no button to toggle. I do have Unity Catalog enabled and I have removed Hive metastore credentials on my workspace.

LeoRickli_0-1725640332787.png

4 REPLIES 4

szymon_dybczak
Contributor

Hi @LeoRickli ,

The step to turn on turn on Serverless SQL warehouses (On) is only required if your account was created before  March 28, 2022. Serverless compute is enabled by default for your workspaces created after that date.

And did you do 1 step from below?

Slash_0-1725864368487.png

Also, make sure that you meet all requirements:

Hello, thanks for response!

I did all the steps required on the screenshot your provided. I'm still not able to see the "Serverless SQL warehouses (On)" toggle.

• Your Databricks account must not be on a free trial. 

• No, it's not on free trial.
  • Your Databricks workspace must be on the Premium plan.

• Yes, it's on the Premium plan.
  • Your workspace must be in a region that supports Databricks SQL Serverless. See Databricks clouds and regions.

• Yes, it is on a region that supports it.
  • Your workspace must have Unity Catalog enabled. See Set up and manage Unity Catalog.

• Yes, it does have Unity Catalog enabled.
  • Your workspace must not use an external Hive legacy metastore. See Remove Hive metastore credentials to enable serverless.

• This might be another issue. I'm not able to see the "Data Access Configuration" field to delete the Hive metastore credentials. My screenshot above shows that there I cannot see this and neither the "Serverless SQL warehouses (On)" toggle.

filipniziol
New Contributor III

LeoRickli
New Contributor II

Hello @filipniziol, thanks for the response.

I'm the workspace owner. I just gave myself the account admin (Metastore admin) but still got nothing new.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group