cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Editor, Tab Stops Indenting

Zer
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I use Databricks through Azure. Frequently when I'm working in the SQL Editor, the tab button fails to indent-- instead, it forces my cursor to a seemingly random part of the page. It's been doing this since when I started working in the platform (about 15 months ago). I can't figure out how to to get the tab key to revert to indenting. This occurs in both Chrome and Edge.

Anyone else experience this problem? Any ideas how I can make it so the SQL Editor consistently has the tab button indent rather than move the mouse cursor to some random part of the script?

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ZerIt seems to be a specific problem related to your environment or configuration. I recommend contacting Databricks support by filing a support ticket for troubleshooting steps or solutions to this issue.

joonsy
New Contributor II

I and a few colleagues of mine have the same issue. The first three - or so - times after writing, pressing tab moves the cursor to a random place then it starts to indent. @Zer did you manage to fix the issue?

Zer
New Contributor II

@joonsy , thanks for sharing that you're also wrestling with this. Sorry for the delay. No, I've not had any success getting other explanations and we're still having these issues. 

jeffreySteele
New Contributor II

We have the same issue.  I noticed that if I pasted in some code chunk, the tab indentation is thrown off until I run through all the options.  By options I mean I put the cursor where I want to indent, hit the Tab key which moves the cursor to a location in the query (not the indentation I want), move the cursor back to where I want to indent, hit Tab...so on and so forth until it starts working again.

HannesM
New Contributor II

Same issue here, sometimes it works by selecting a single but complete line and then hitting tab. If it works, then indentation works on multiple lines again as well. However, the single line select doesn't always work either. Pretty inconsistent behavior, I wouldn't mind at all to have this fixed... Chrome user.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.